Tuesday, July 5, 2011

What God has joined together...


Matthew 19:6

King James Version (KJV)
 6Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

     Tonight, a young man asked for my daughter's hand in marriage. I was not surprised because both Morgan and Levi have been talking in "we" terms for quite awhile; they have explored ministry positions as a couple and have been planning their future together.
    Yet it was a wonderful moment. Again, I knew this day was coming and had planned all sorts of witty rejoinders to make Levi sweat a little. But in the moment none of those came to mind. All that I could say is "Yes." And in the end I said, "All I ask is that you take care of her."
    
    Levi may not know it but he is an answer to prayer. Ever since Morgan was a little girl my wife and I have prayed for the man she would marry. We have prayed that he would be a strong man of God. We have prayed that he would complement Morgan and that the two would have a strong impact for God, whether full-time ministry would be in the works or not. We prayed for a man who would be strong enough for Morgan, who is a strong person in her own right. We prayed for a man that would have a heart for God and a heart for our daughter.

    Levi is that and more, by all accounts. He has a great sense of humor that is dry and sarcastic, which should serve him well with both the Valley and Wilson side of the families. He loves sports. He is a musician. I have yet to hear him preach, so I will hold off giving him an A-plus until then (or until he takes me to Wrigley, then I don't care how he preaches). 

   Here is the one thing that clinched it for me: Whenever Morgan is with Levi she has the look about her that she is safe. A father could ask for nothing more than that his little girl will be safe.

    As perfect as Levi is, he and Morgan will have their share of rough moments. Moments when they will have to choose to love when they do not feel like love is in the air. Ministry can bring a couple closer but it can also drive a wedge between two. They will learn the ups and downs and the balance that will be needed to sustain a marriage, a family and a life together. A lot of things will try to "asunder" them, but the key will be the first part of the verse.

    Morgan and Levi have an advantage because God has joined them together. They both are seekers of God and in turn, God has sought them out and put them in the place they are today. I do not believe they are together by chance or circumstance but they are together because a loving God has put them together and they were both sensitive enough to the Holy Spirit to listen when He spoke. 

   As kids are wont to do, they will forge ahead with the life that is ahead of them-with the life that God has for them. I could give them plenty of advice and let them reap from the harvest of my experience, but that would be slim picking indeed. Knowing the plans they have already, they will be moving even farther away from us which makes Dad excited for what is ahead but a little melancholy.
   But now my task is to pray not just for Morgan but for Morgan and Levi (and any little grandkids that may come along---hint, hint). I am pleased. God has answered my prayer.
     


    


No comments:

Post a Comment