Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Vacation Edition: Re-writing History

John 8:31-33 "To the Jews that believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you really are my disciples. Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free."  They answered him, "We are Abraham's descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?


     As I sit in the Appalachian Trail Cafe in downtown Millinocket, my vacation has officially started. I have treated myself to a helping of chopped tots and onions, a  cup of coffee, and the buzz and murmur that is the hometown diner. And with it come memories.
     I love my hometown, as any other person does. The memories are as strong as the coffee, but like a good cup of coffee does from time to time, memories can give me heartburn and keep me up at night. Not all the memories of growing up in the Magic City are magical yet they are part of my heritage,  a part of my past,  a part of the legacy I pass on to my kids.
    It is interesting looking back on my youth. Most of the memories that keep me up at night are now seen through adult eyes and with adult sensibilities. I realize now the moments when I was a jerk, the people I hurt, and the true motives behind some of my actions as a youth. Some of them are particularly cringe-inducing. If one of my kids had acted like I did growing up, I would have slapped them into the next week.
   We all have memories we would change if we could.Yet, mingled with those memories are the things that I would never change. The memories that keep me up at night for a good reason. The ones that bring a smile and a laugh and pride in accomplishment.
   Good, bad or indifferent my history plays a key role in what I pass onto my kids. My legacy includes both the good and bad memories and the lessons learned from both. To re-write my history to ignore the more painful parts would diminish what I have become today. To ignore the moments I was less than perfect or to explain away certain actions because of "youth" would dishonor God and the place he has  brought me thus far.

    Christ's famous "...and the truth shall set you free" is spoken in the above passage. But the reaction of those listening is what catches my imagination. They are re-writing their past. "We are Abraham's descendants and have never been slaves of anyone!" is a statement both true and untrue at the same time.
    Though it is likely this particularly group of men listening to Christ have never been slaves to anyone (though they find themselves under Roman rule) they changed the perspective when they bring up their heritage. Their people certainly were slaves to the Egyptians. And the story of God's provision and escape at that time has carried the Hebrew nation through thick and thin. To forget that particular past, no matter how painful, means to forget where God stepped in and that is a dangerous thing.
    Somewhere along the line these group of men lost the correlation of the God of their past with the God of their present. To forget they were slaves at one time and God set them free means they have forgotten the God that set people free be it from tyranny or sin. The Hebrew nation could have been long forgotten if not for God's intervention.
    To re-write our history, no matter how painful the history might be, means we may write out God in the process. When we wipe God from our past it means we do not pass on to our children the God who has changed us, set us free and intervened in the worse moments of our life. To re-write our past means we re-write God to being only an icon in a stained-glass window or a bed-time story on par with the Easter Bunny or Good Night, Moon.
   To re-write our history means our children do not see the God who is active in all parts of our lives. To tell the story that God saved me, delivered me, or changed me means, at one point, I needed saving, delivering and changing. And though those things may be painful to dredge up, it is also a testimony of a great God who is there not just when things are going well, but is there, ready to free me in my times of slavery.
    I can think of no better legacy to pass on than what God has done for me in my past. Faithful in my past, God has proven faithful in my present and will prove faithful in my future.
   I encourage you to embrace your past in full, even the painful parts, and look back on it with adult eyes and sensibilities. If we do so we will see how God has changed us, where God has intervened for us, and has shaped us to be who we are in Him.
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment