Thursday, May 5, 2011

WISDOM

ACTS 5:17-41 (Read this whole passage to get the full effect)34. But a Pharisee named Gamaliel, a teacher of the law, who was honored by all people, stood up in the Sanhedrin and ordered that the men [Peter and John] be put aside for a little while. Then he addressed them: "Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men..."


Gamaliel, was not a follower of Christ. Far from it and he did not hold much respect for those who were. Yet he was a student of God and God's ways. Gamaliel had wisdom and he used it here.

Wisdom is a rare commodity. Wisdom calms a heart, slows down a rushing brain. Wisdom does not use force, but it is powerful. Wisdom is not all dressed up, but it is attractive. Wisdom does not cajole, but it does persuade.

As you read through this passage, look at the counsel of Gamaliel.
1. Think before you act.
       Gamaliel has seen rabble rousers before. He has seen things done in the name of God that were not of God at all. Gamaliel advises to wait it out... 36."Some time ago, Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing."
       So wait.

2. Know the pattern, know the precedence
        There are patterns. There is precedence. Gamaliel reminds them they have seen this all before. And it died out as the leader died out. Since Christ has just been crucified, Gamaliel says "See if the pattern we know continues. This may die out with out us lifting a finger." Remember Theudas and Judas.

3. Understand God will not fail
     38-39 Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God."


For the moment, the Council listened. But as a whole the religious class did not. They fought the disciples tooth and nail. Martyred them. Did all they could around the region to stamp out Christ but the  words of Gamaliel proved true: They found themselves fighting God, and God does not lose.


     I find myself in the position  of relying on the wisdom of God and it finds its way into my prayers with phrases like "Your will be done." and "Lord, I leave it in your hands." When I pray this, I have had to learn God's will and mine may not be one and the same; Leaving it in God's hands is harder than I think when things do not turn out the way I would like. The question I have to ask myself is do I Trust God or not? Do I rely on the wisdom of God or not? As painful as it sometime is...I must.

    Oh Lord, help me to rely on your wisdom, not just when it suits me, but because you have declared it  so. Help me to search your Scripture and your precepts as I traverse this life for you. Help me to keep the things I have put in your hands, in your hands. Amen.

        
      

No comments:

Post a Comment