Thursday, April 19, 2012

Faith

One of my favorite authors, Christian or Secular, is Philip Yancey. His many books have challenged me, inspired me, and have helped me grow in my walk with Christ. Yancey is a constant companion. What I appreciate about Philip Yancey is his honesty about his journey of faith that at times has been riddled with doubt.

While perusing the bargain shelves of a Christian Bookstore I found a prayer journal by Yancey called "Keeping Company with God". Though I probably would not have picked it up for the original $16 price, the bargain price of $2.97 made it worth the risk. And I am glad I took the risk.

Prayer is supposed to be a constant in our faith. I envy people who easily pray to God as if He is sitting across from them in Panera Bread. As I have matured in my faith I have found prayer to not be a chore or an obligation but a privilege and a discipline I have developed. Faith dictates that God hears me. I believe this and so I pray.

In Yancey's prayer journal he asks this question of the reader "How do you react when your doubts make it difficult to pray?" Following is my response. Not sure if it answers the question but it provoked thought and....faith. I hope it encourages you as well.

Is there a time when I pray that there isn't a bit of doubt? Isn't that, for me, part of my faith: That I continue to pray though I do not see happening what I have prayed for? Does it not take faith to pray even if you think you are not being heard?


As I wonder about the slowness or quickness of the answer  what I think  may be a point of immediacy or urgency may not be with God. Since God sets outside of time, the word NOW does not apply to Him. It just is. 


I have found that any doubt I have has never been centered around the word 'can'. I have no doubt that God "can" do anything and everything. The word for me is "will". Will God do what he most certainly can?


I have friends with terminal cancer, a father with Parkinsons. Will God? I need a financial boost. Will God? Our church needs space and workers and needs them NOW! Will God?


God can. Will He? If not, why not? If so, when?


For some strange reason these thoughts strengthen my faith more than weaken it. God has not ceded being God by the requests of his people, but continues to prove He is God by answering any prayer in the best way and at the best time. God can and God will. When is not up to me, but to Him.


Faith.


Hebrews 11:13 gives insight to my faith walk when speaking of the giants of faith: All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance.


My prayer is that my faith grows so that I can welcome what I have been promised, what I have prayed for, from a distance. Things may not happen in my life time or  in my place. But God can. And faith within me says "God will."

No comments:

Post a Comment