Monday, September 26, 2011

Fall


Psalm 19:1-3 The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard."


I am not what you would call an outdoorsman. Any voluntary activity out-of-doors usually includes a golf club or a softball bat. Any activity I am forced to do out-of-doors is with a shovel, a mower or a woodpile.
Fall, though, is my favorite season of the year. If I am going to be outside just to be outside, it will be now, as the smell of wood burning stoves being stoked mix with the fermentation of the leaves that have fallen early. The sun does not burn, but warms and brings light and shadow to the dawn as the fog curls off the lake.  The last ray of light is a visual Taps, warning at dusk:

"Day is done, gone the sun
From the lakes, from the hills, from the sky
All is well, safely rest
God is nigh.
Fading light dims the sight
And a star gems the sky, gleaming bright
From afar, drawing near
Falls the night.
Thanks and praise for our days
Neath the sun, neath the stars, neath the sky
As we go, this we know
God is nigh."

For me, Fall is when I hear the heavens declare the glory of God the loudest. It is the time I am more likely to stop from the activity of the day and just revel in the beauty that is creation. I am more likely to take a walk in the fall, breathe in the morning air in the fall, and meander until it is dark. There is peace, I think, in the Fall. God is nigh.

Too often we overlook the beauty of God's creation and do not hear the declaration of his glory because the day has gotten ahead of us. There are things to do. People to see. Fires to put out. Meetings to attend.

Even if we are outside surrounded by the wonder of God's creation we may be pre-occupied with our cell-phone, reflexively grabbing it at any vibration, and grabbing it again when we feel it has not vibrated frequently enough. Even if we have left the cell behind, our mind races and runs to the hours and the days ahead. It is somehow ironic that in the midst of God's beauty we do not heed one of his commands: "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34


I am going to take a walk, today. I will do my best to clear my head and open my heart to the call of nature singing out the glory of my God. I hope someone has a fire burning and enough leaves are on the ground that  will "rustle" as I walk through them. May be in the silence of an Autumn sunset I will allow God to speak to me in that still small voice that has so encouraged me and instructed me in the past.

As I go, this I know, God is nigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment